There was a lot of tax talk in 2019 – especially on social media. From Bitcoin to stretch IRAs to tax refunds, Twitter streams were filled with news, links, and best practices focused on tax.
Twitter is an easy way to find out what’s happening in the tax world – for tax professionals, taxpayers and tax geeks. You can join in with live twitter chats or simply look for hashtags like #IRS, #taxtwitter and #womenintax. Or, you can follow some of the folks who are most engaged in sharing tax news and information. To get started, check out the top 100 must-follow tax Twitter accounts for 2020:
IRS* (Twitter list):
- @IRSnews - IRS – IRS news and guidance for the public, press and practitioners.
- @YourVoiceAtIRS - Taxpayer Advocate – The Taxpayer Advocate Service is your voice at the IRS.
- @IRStaxpros – IRS – IRS news and guidance for tax professionals. IRS does not collect comments or messages on this site.
- @IRStaxsecurity - IRS Tax Security
Forbes Tax Writers & Regular Contributors (Twitter list):
- @ashleaebeling - Ashlea Ebeling – Associate Editor, Forbes
- @janetnovack - Janet Novack – Forbes Washington Bureau Chief & Personal Finance Editor / I follow tax, budget and retirement policy & planning.
- @nittiaj - Tony Nitti – tax guy @rubinbrownllp. writer @forbes. Tax Prof @uofdenver. Don’t blame me, I voted for Kodos.
- @peterreillycpa - Peter Reilly – We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection.
Tax-Related Orgs (Twitter list):
- @ABATaxSection - ABA Tax Section – The ABA Section of Taxation
- @AICPA - AICPA – The official Twitter account of the American Institute of CPAs
- @NATPTAX - NATP – The National Association of Tax Professionals (NATP) serves professionals through tax education, research, updates, publications and office supplies.
- @NSAtax - NSA – National Society of Accountants (NSA) is the association for Main Street tax and accounting professionals.
- @Tax_Experts - NAEA – NAEA is the membership organization advocating for America’s Tax Experts®. Use #EnrolledAgents to join the conversation with tax professionals.
- @WomenInTax - Women in Tax – Women In Tax is a network for women working in tax – in the profession, in-house, academia, HMRC, NGOs or anywhere else. Tweets currently by @hselftax
Tax Professionals, Firms & Companies (Twitter list):
- @AlloyCPAs - Alloy Silverstein – Empowering businesses with accounting, tax & advisory services since 1959 | Best of Accounting 2019 Award Winner | #Xero Partner | Managing Partner @RenCicalese
- @AmieKCPA – Amie K – Iowa tax girl • Came for the TaxTwitter, stayed for the sarcasm and gifs • Your weird is your strength.
- @Aprilshowerstax - April Walker - #AICPA Lead Manager- Tax Practice & Ethics Team | #CPA | #UNC Tarheel | Wife & mom to a mini me and 2 fur babies | Proud #IMMT finisher | Views are mine
- @Avalara - Avalara - Tax compliance done right. Cloud-based solution for various transactional taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types.
- @BDO_USA_Tax - BDO USA Tax – Our professionals help companies and individuals navigate complex tax issues. A 2019 @Forbes Must-Follow Tax Twitter Feed.
- @BrandonHarbeke - Brandon Harbeke, CPA – Tax CPA specializing in partnerships and corporations; sci-fi watcher and reader; classical and country music listener
- @BrightTax - Greg Dewald – CEO of Bright!Tax, the go-to cloud based US tax services firm for the 9m Americans living overseas. Expat Tax Provider of the Year. Forbes Top 100 Tax Tweeters.
- @bstonercpa - Brian Stoner, CPA – Award-Winning CPA; Forbes 2019 top 100 Twitter Tax Acct; Quoted on MarketWatch CNBC & CNN; #TaxPlanning & #TaxPrep for Small Business! Laker Ram & Dodger fan!
- @CariWestonCPA - Cari Weston – Living my life, finding my passion, learning and leading…
- @cbriancpa - Brian Streig, CPA – CPA focusing on tax planning, compliance, start-ups & entrepreneurs. Plus tweets about Austin, TX, food and my puppy.
- @DebFoxFinancial – Deborah Fox CPA – Strategic Tax Planning. Startups. ProForma Financials. Cash Flow.
- @DonnaLCPA - Donna Laubscher – Tax CPA, especially fond of Form 1040; avid outside-of-tax-season reader, live theater, baseball & football spectator; iced tea addict (hydrate in the desert)
- @edzollars – Ed Zollars, CPA – Tax CPA & CPE Lecturer for Kaplan Financial Education. Author of material on Current Federal Tax Developments website.
- @HowardGinsberg - Howard Ginsberg, CPA, Tax, Financial & Accounting Services. Wealth Management. Forbes Top Must Follow Tax List. Voted Best of Long Island.
- @JodyPadarCPA – Jody Padar, CPA – Tax Quickbooks CPA Adjunct Professor Xero Firm Partner Sage Networker MACPA Professional Speaker Accounting Today Freshbooks The Radical CPA
- @joebwan - Joe Kristan – Tax guy. Former proprietor, Tax Update Blog. Currently with Eide Bailly LLP. Views are mine (who else would want them?)
- @JPorterCPA - Jeffrey A. Porter, CPA – Tax Practitioner, Tax policy aficionado, Past Chair—AICPA Tax Executive Committee, Past Chair—AICPA Tax Reform Task Force & fan of Kiawah Island
- @JustinMillerEsq – Justin Miller – Bad tax jokes and even worse puns. National Strategist at BNY Mellon, Adjunct Professor at GGU Law, and ACTEC Fellow. Tweets ≠ legal or tax advice.
- @kerryfreemanea - Kerry Freeman, EA – Tax Professional, Member of National Association of EAs, Arizona Society of EAs and owner of Freeman Income Tax Service in Anthem, AZ. Licensed by U.S. Treasury
- @LoganGrafTax – The Tax TeleGraf with Logan Graf, CPA. Pioneering the tax landscape one tweet at a time.
- @LTWLAW - Tax return preparation. Email now to get started! Ltw@LtwLaw.com
- @lypierceCPA - Lykethia Pierce, CPA – CEO of Pierce, CPA & Advisors| Check out what I have a flair for (e.g., accounting, business, sunsets, life…)| Phone no. (205) 370-4508/@AuthenticCPA
- @MelindaNCPA – Melinda Nelson, CPA – CPA, explainer of all things tax, mom of 3, musical theater geek, fan of soccer & Iowa State basketball, just an Iowa girl at heart.
- @MissTaxCat - Jina Etienne – #Speaker, trainer & facilitator engaging with passion, clarity & humor | Accounting Today #Top100 2016 – 2018 | #CPA with personality
- @NathanPClark - Nathan Clark – Tax geek, beer consumer, dog lover, boardgamer, runner. Prone to extreme sarcasm and dry humor. Opinions are my own.
- @NayoCarterGray – Nayo Carter-Gray, EA – Savvy virtual Accountant by day who loves a corny joke, funky glasses, and is passionate about financial literacy…
- @raniacombs - Rania Combs – Attorney with a completely web-based law firm who helps Texans prepare their wills, trusts and estate plans online, without the usual overhead.
- @Roberg Tax – Jan Roberg – I specialize in individual and small business (one or two owner) taxes. she/her
- @RobKovacev - Rob Kovacev – Tax attorney, DOJ alum. #Tax controversy & taxation of #innovation/#AI/#robotics. Forbes Top 100 #TaxTwitter to Follow. Views my own.
- @RyanLEllis – Tax lobbyist/preparer. Prez of @CFEconomy. Go @patriots. @examiner contributor. Freedom/fiscal, paleo/foreign, Catholic/social. Senate unconfirmable. DMs open.
- @SalesTaxInst - Sales Tax Institute – Sales & use tax news, education, and expert training • Forbes Top 100 Tax Twitter Accounts For 2019 • Fearless leader: @YetterTax – the original #salestaxnerd
- @ShaunHunley – Shaun Hunley – Sketch comedian turned tax attorney and author (not a stretch). Click for my latest thoughts.
- @ShaynaCPA - Shayna Chapman – CPA.CITP, CGMA, Tech addict. Forward thinker. Smiler. Mom. Trying to control my addiction to chocolate chip cookies.
- @SylviaDionCPA - Sylvia F. Dion -Founder-Managing Partner State #Tax Advisory Firm, #CPA, #EconomicNexus Guru, #SALT #SalesTax Blogger, Happy Mom, Passionate Cook, PROUD Mexican-American LATINA
- @TallyCPA – Adam Watson – Husband, Dad and Stepdad, CPA (tax guy), nerd, knitter, Gator fan, and a big fan of my adopted hometown of Tally. Him/He.
- @TaxBuzzOnline - TaxBuzz.com - Forbes Top 100 #TaxTwitter to Follow. Get #tax & #accounting help from highly-rated professionals. Easy & free service for individuals & #smallbusiness.
- @taxguru - Amit Chandel CPA CTC – Certified Tax Planner/Exit Strategies/Tax Resolution
- @TaxHatchet - Brent A. Auberry – Attorney, Faegre Baker Daniels, focusing on State & Local Tax, Sec., American Property Tax Counsel (Tweets are my own & not legal advice; RTs not endorsements)
- @TaxJar - Tax Jar – Making sales tax compliance simple for more than 20,000 online businesses & developers
- @TaxPro10018 - Patrick Murphy -Enrolled Agent. Forty-four years of tax professional experience. 2019 Forbes Top 100 Tax Twitter Account
- @taxtherapist505 – Amber Gray-Fenner, EA – Easing tax pain and providing peace of mind! I read; I write; I knit; I solve tax problems. I take my business seriously. Myself? Not so much. (she/her)
- @TheSETaxGuy - Tyrone Gregory, The Self-Employed Tax Guy – On a mission to save the Self-Employed and creator of the Self-Employed Tax Academy Online Course. Go ahead… shamelessly steal a copy of my ‘Cheat Sheet’:
- @TropicalTax - Jerry Gaddis, EA, MBA – Founder/CEO Tropical Tax Solutions: Founded in Paradise, Serving Clients Everywhere | #EnrolledAgent | @DaveRamsey ELP | @Forbes Must-Follow Tax Account
- @VertexInc. - Vertex – The official Twitter account of Vertex, Inc. the company that allows you to unleash the strategic power of tax.
- @VLJeker - V. La Torre Jeker – US Tax – Dubai since 2001. NYS Bar 35 yrs; admitted US Tax Court. US/int’l tax planning, expatriation, FATCA. Forbes Top 100 Tax Twitter Account 2017-2019
Tax Writers, Bloggers & Gurus (Twitter list):
- @alexparkerDC – Alex Parker – Taxsplainer for @Law360. Fan of Purdue, Butler, Colts, Pacers, Indians & free thinkers. Views here are my own, or Batman’s. Retweets are endorphins.
- @BillSheridan - Bill Sheridan – Cuba, NY, native. University at Buffalo alum. Adopted son of Baltimore and St. Louis. Not a CPA, but I play one on TV. EOS implementer, speaker, author, writer.
- @CentristinIdaho - David Morse – Tax Policy Director @cpa_tradereform; Total Geek. Forbes Top 100 #TaxTwitter to Follow 2019 and 2018. All opinions are my own. RT not endorsement
- @CPA_Trendlines - Rick Telberg – Live links to breaking news for tax, accounting and finance professionals. Upgrade to premium and start profiting today
- @Darla_Mercado – Darla Mercado, CFP – Reporter, @CNBC‘s personal finance team. Mom. CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™. Triathlete. A regular shmegular degular girl from The Bronx.
- @dashching - Chye-Ching Huang – Tax, budget, economy, law, policy. US & NZ. Director Federal Fiscal Policy @CenteronBudget. Tweets not about US fiscal policy aren’t for CBPP.
- @jberryjohnson - Janet Berry-Johnson – I’m Janet Berry-Johnson. Freelance writer and CPA. Contributor at Forbes, Credit Karma, FreshBooks, Magnify Money, Accounting Principals & more.
- @JoeTaxpayerBlog - Joe Taxpayer – Father, Husband, Puppy Person, Friend, Financial Blogger, in that order, mostly. Likes are good, ReTweets are Great!
- @LenBurman - Len Burman – Father, grandfather, @taxpolicycenter cofounder, Syracuse University prof. For fun, I cycle, cook, and sing. Retweets≠endorsement.
- @M_SullivanTax - Martin Sullivan – Chief Economist, Tax Analysts. Former Treasury, JCT staff. Grateful for bio by Steven Pearlstein.
- @ManasaSogNadig - Manasa Sogal Nadig – Enrolled Agent&Chief at MNTaxBiz;Tax Geek & Blogger at ;Mom&Wife @ Chez Nadig;Forbes Top 100 #TaxTwitter Accounts 2018 & 2019
- @MariaKoklanaris - Maria Koklanaris - Senior tax correspondent @Law360. Steelers fanatic. Proud Penn Stater. Tweets mine only. RTs not endorsements #Ijustmetagirlnamed #Howdoyousolveaproblemlike
- @njagoda - Naomi Jagoda – Tax reporter @thehill. @Penn alum. N.Y. native. My last name is pronounced like Pagoda with a J.
- @NKaeding - Nicole Kaeding – Director of Federal and Special Projects at Tax Foundation. Mom. Wife. Federal and state fiscal policy wonk. Views expressed are my own.
- @RenuZ – Renu Zaretsky (Tax Hound) - #TaxHound and #DailyDeduction writer @TaxPolicyCenter. Indian-American wife, parent to 2 kids, 1 Scottish Deerhound. Views mine alone, RTs not endorsements
- @RichardRubinDC - Richard Rubin – I cover U.S. tax policy for the @WSJ. There is ALWAYS a tax angle. Retweets are not endorsements or tax advice.
- @Saunderswsj – Laura Saunders – I write about taxes for The Wall Street Journal
- @SoongJohnston - Stephanie Johnston - Chief correspondent, @TaxNotes Today International, ex-fashion editor, @MedillSchool MSJ06. firstname.lastname@example.org RTs≠endorsements
- @TaxAddict - Tracy Shannon Levey – All Things #Tax, #Accounting & #Finance. Forbes Top 100 #Tax Twitter to Follow 2019. Co-Founder Parker Tax Publishing. Opinions are my own.
- @TaxMama - TaxMama® – Award winning author – Top 100 accountant and tax blog – dean of TaxMama’s® #EnrolledAgent (EA) Time for Self-Study!
- @taxmOuth - Free Tax Help – Tax help, answers, tips and news from federal and state tax officials, gurus, experts & authors for CPAs, tax attorneys and other tax pros. #taxes #tax #IRS
- @taxtweet - Kay Bell – Native Texan. #Tax blogger. Journalist. @Astros & @Cowboys fan. Birder. Wife. Order subject to change. Tax scoop at Don’t Mess With Taxes (link below).
Media, Publishers, Networks and Think Tanks (Twitter list):
- @AccountingToday - Accounting Today – Accounting Today, a SourceMedia brand, is the independent news and information resource for tax and accounting professionals.
- @Bloombergtax - Bloomberg Tax – The best access to expert analysis, primary sources, practitioner-developed tools, & technology for planning/compliance. | Follow our journalists & news: @tax
- @OECDTax - Latest #tax news & data from the #OECD Centre for Tax Policy and Administration. Follow our senior leadership @PSaintAmans & @GPerezinParis
- @Tax – Bloomberg Tax – Leading source of accounting & tax news #TaxTwitter
- @Tax_Alerts - Tax Alerts – News and guidance covering all Tax issues – corporate, personal. Written by the nation’s leading tax lawyers for CPAs, financial planners, etc. A @JDSupra feed.
- @taxfoundation - Tax Foundation – America’s leading tax policy resource, informing smarter tax policy at the federal, state, and global levels since 1937.
- @TaxNotes - Tax Notes – Your #1 source for everything tax. News, commentary, analysis. Nonprofit, nonpartisan organization. #letstalktax
- @TaxPolicyCenter - Tax Policy Center – Independent, timely, accessible analyses of current and emerging tax policy issues. (Links/RTs/favorites/follows/etc. are not endorsements.)
Tax Professors and Other Learned Tax Geeks (Twitter List):
- @BW_Johnson - Ben Johnson – Associate Dean/ Accounting Professor @UEBusiness. Tax guy. I live life in a highly caffeinated state.
- @book_leslie – Leslie Book – Villanova Law Prof. Tax,poverty law and tax procedure/admin Author: Saltzman & Book, IRS Practice & Procedure.
- @EOTaxProf - Philip Hackney – #TaxProf, fmr DC IRS chief counsel atty, fmr Baker Botts atty; #nonprofits, IRS, public policy, tax, campaign finance, #darkmoney, Art Law; #LawProf @Pittlaw
- @JudithFreedman - Judith Freedman – Oxford Professor of Tax Law, British Tax Review editor, school governor, grandmother of 4. Here in personal capacity, not representing views of any organisation
- @lilybatch - Lily Batchelder – Robert C. Kopple Family Professor of Taxation at @nyulaw. Former Deputy Director @WhiteHouse NEC; former Chief Tax Counsel @SenateFinance.
- @Narfnampil – Francine Lipman – Tax & poverty law prof/CPA & lawyer4tax-justice at Boyd Law School @UNLVLaw @UNLVLawLITC @surlysubgroup & NVTaxCommissioner All views&comments are solely my own
- @ProfAfield - Ted Afield – Director, Philip C. Cook Low Income Taxpayer Clinic and Mark and Evelyn Trammell Associate Clinical Professor of Law, @GeorgiaStateLaw, @GSULawClinics
- @ProfRuthMason - Ruth Mason – Tax professor at UVA Law. I write on U.S. state and EU taxation.
- @realtimtodd - Tim Todd – Assoc Dean for Academic Affairs & Law Professor (@LibertyLaw @LibertyU) teaching tax, business, & transactional law | @Forbes Contributor
- @SeanSteinSmith – Dr Sean Stein Smith – @LehmanCollege Prof, Member @WallStreetBTC Advisory Board, Member @GildedFinance Advisory Board, Author @IBMBlockchain @NJCPA ‘19 Ovation Award @AIER Fellow ‘19
- @smbrnsn – Sam Brunson – Georgia Reithal Professor Law, Loyola University Chicago School of Law. Author of God and the IRS,
And don’t forget me: @taxgirl.
To subscribe to all of the accounts in a category, click on the Twitter list link following the category head. Note that the category heads are for convenience – in practice, some folks could fall in more than one category. To subscribe to all 100 Twitter accounts on the list, click here.
Keep in mind that this list is subjective. There’s no fancy algorithm or poll. I don’t count tweets or followers, though I do take into consideration type and timeliness of tweets, as well as engagement. I also target feeds with a clear focus on tax as opposed to finance or economics. The goal is to present a wide range of tax professionals from different parts of the world, offering different perspectives (I’ve even included Cowboys fans).
Each year, I receive emails critiquing and questioning the list. I do take suggestions and the list is constantly changing. And this year, it changed a lot – which is a good thing. If you’ve been on lists in prior years but aren’t on this year, don’t take it personally. This year was extremely tough, since there’s a lot of great information being shared.
One more thing: if you tweet about tax and I’m not following you, please @taxgirl on Twitter and let me know. Additionally, if you are a tax pro and are not included on my Twittering Tax Pro list, please @taxgirl and let me know to add you. Thanks and tweet on.
* The IRS has a number of media spokespersons, including some for individual regions. Here are some of the most active on Twitter:
- @BillB_IRS - William Brunson – IRS Spokesperson for AZ, MT, NM & UT.
- @ChristopherIRS - Christopher – IRS Media Relations for Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska.
- @David_IRS - David Tucker – IRS Media Relations – WA, AK, HI, OR and Northern CA.
- @KC_IRS - Karen Connelly – IRS contact for CO, ID, WY, ND, SD, MN media.
- @Luis_IRS - Luis Garcia – IRS Spokesman for MI, IN, OH, KY, PA, NH, RI, WV, NC, SC & MD
- @raphyIRS - raph t – San Diego-based IRS Spokesman for So Cal, SF Bay Area & NV.
- @MichaelD_IRS - Michael Devine – IRS Media Relations.
- @IRS_Patricia - Patricia Russomagno – IRS Public Relations Specialist.
- @Sanford_IRS - Clay Sanford – IRS Media Relations.